🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Build a 3D version of the Game of Goose

Started by
2 comments, last by lewisk 1 year, 7 months ago

Hi,

I am very (very) new to this world, but I wonder how difficult it would be to build a 3D version of a board game very similar to the ‘(Royal) Game of Goose’.

I'd like to have my 3D avatar, on the first cell and then at each step my avatar moves forward one cell.

What kind of ‘engine’ and/or programming language… can be used? In short, where to start?

I have good python/OOP skills!

Thanks for your help ?

Lewis

Advertisement

I imagine that most modern, fairly-general engines could handle such a project! Indeed, I'd suggest that more important is to find an engine that is congenial to you--one that suits your preferences and method.

As to specifics, Unity and Unreal are both pretty popular, I believe, and I daresay for good reason.

That said, you mention programming and Python, so if you're interested in a more code-centric engine, let me mention the one that is my preferred tool: Panda3D. It's a solid engine, I feel, and has Python bindings (which is how I generally develop with it). The main of the engine itself is implemented in C++, so it performs well.

My main hesitancy in recommending it is that it has no editor-tool, such as Unity and Unreal have. Still, if you don't mind developing primarily with code, then it might be worth looking at! (Website: www.panda3d.org)

That said, there are many engines out there, so I encourage you to try out a few and see what you like! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I really appreciate you took the time to answer! Thanks for the details ?

Have a nice week-end,

Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement