🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is cheaper: pixel art or low poly?

Started by
2 comments, last by bearprogrammer 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi!

I'm creating rogue like game but I can't to decide what graphics to use. I like both pixel art and low poly style as in attachments. So I decide to make my choice by the costs of art because I'll hire an artist to do it.

The question is what art (pixel art or low poly) is cheaper if we need to do the same set of objects, characters, animations etc.?

1.png

2.jpg

Advertisement
28 minutes ago, bearprogrammer said:

The question is what art (pixel art or low poly) is cheaper

2D sprites is easier to learn but more time consuming to make. This makes them more expensive in terms of money. The largest advantage of sprites is that they don't have to be great to allow the player to immerse them self; it's also why they are easier to learn.

Sprites have one huge drawback and that is accumulative costs. Every animation you add the the sprite will increase the production time and resources needed.

1 sprite = 1 character. 1 character * 8 directions = 8 sprites * 24 sprites walking animation = 192 sprites.  (Directions*frames per second*animations)

For small games sprites are better. Cost $80 - $400.

3D models didn't only take over the market because they where 3D but because they are the most performance effective to use. The problem is that 3D models are hard to make for games.

The low poly ones you show here isn't that much easier and will cost around the same price to have made. Because you pay for the artist time, not the product.

1 3D model, 1 shader, 3 textures, 1 rig + animations.

For large games 3D models are better. Cost $120 - $500

2D bone animations take the advantage of 2D and 3D. You might have seen some of there sprite sheets around:

02.png

They have the same benefits as 2D sprites but with the performance of 3D models. Most of the 2D games these days uses bone animation.

The down side is that they can be frustrating to get working properly and some times have weird errors.

Recommended for most 2D games: Cost $100 - $500.

The prices above is a per character bases and is just a estimate based on my own fees.(I am not for hire and this isn't me advertising)

The less info you have for the artist the longer it's going to take and the more it will costs. Per project(instead of per hour) is often cheaper because mistakes on the artist side doesn't cost you.

Some artist have a extra designers fee that they waive if you provide them with good concept art.

You can finish the full game before you need to hire a artist, it takes longer but works smoother in my experience.

There are freelancing sites where you can place a amount of money you are willing to spend and then see what you get. The down side to this is that the artist often use there spare time to work on those low yield projects, as a result it takes longer and the quality is inconsistent.

The advantage is that you can get art for as low as $25 - $50.

@Scouting Ninja thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement