🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Coding vs Level Design

Started by
19 comments, last by Writersface13 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey everyone! So I've been using Unity for the past few days and really like it (aside from the outdated tutorials). My goal is to become a level designer because I love the UI, but everyone needs to know a bit of coding, right? So my question is: How much time should I invest into learning coding? Should it overlap my level designing practice? If so, what kind of schedule should I construct to make it work? Should I not bother with coding at all? Thank you all for reading!

Advertisement
13 minutes ago, Writersface13 said:

but everyone needs to know a bit of coding, right?

Wrong.

It certainly can be a boon, but it's definitely not true that "everybody" in the industry needs to know anything about how to write code. Which means...

14 minutes ago, Writersface13 said:

How much time should I invest into learning coding?

As much as you are interested in investing.

Well, when it comes to creating portfolios to become a level designer, what should my levels entail so that they're strong enough to get me a job? Just a pretty sight to look at? Or should they include a bit more?

You're approaching this way too pragmatically and from the wrong direction.  If you want to be a level designer, start designing levels.  When you gain experience you might discover that in order to add this cool new feature to your levels you need some coding.  Then learn coding.

It is never the correct approach to mathematically define what you think they want to see.  The correct approach is to make what you enjoy making and get a job based off the things you enjoyed creating.

If you can't get hired based off what you enjoyed making then you are in the wrong field and you saved yourself from a life of hell.
If you aren't motivated enough to create lots of things for a portfolio then you are in the wrong field and you saved yourself from a life of hell.

This is just a more direct way of saying what jpetrie said.  We can't give you direct answers because the only correct answer is whatever you want to do.

How are we supposed to answer your last question?

• If you are interested in making beautiful levels, and functional levels, why do you need to be told which one to do?  You're just going to do them both anyway because you enjoy doing them both, right?
  • If you don't like one or the other, why should we tell you to do what you might not enjoy doing?  Careers must always be based off doing what you love.

If you want to make pretty backgrounds, do it and apply at companies that want pretty backgrounds (fighting games, racing games, RTS games, RPG's, etc.)

If you want to make functional backgrounds, do it and apply at companies that want functional backgrounds (FPS games, 3D action games, RPG's, etc.)

Or you can do both, whatever.  It's entirely your choice.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

But if you see coding skills as a winning ticket to immense wealth, you’re better off trying invest more time of studying it. 

It's not just about that though. Learning my way around the interface, make objects react a certain way; I kind of need this stuff to make a good level. But I don't know which one to start with

23 minutes ago, Writersface13 said:

I kind of need this stuff to make a good level. But I don't know which one to start with

Which what? Please restate your question, given the helpful replies you've gotten to the previous wording of your question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Should I focus more on mastering the Unity interface or take a break and learn C# so I can do more unique things with my levels?

Focus on making levels. One of these days, Unity will be gone, or drastically different, just as many tools that came before it have either died or changed.

(Case in point: just look at how much has changed in Unity even in the last 2 months)

It doesn't matter. Just make the levels. Build your portfolio. Mastery will come with time and practice. C#, or whatever language is relevant at the time you start coding, if you decide to start coding, will be waiting for you by the time you're ready.

So just get started already! Go forth and be fruitful!

I think the catch may be that you've defined "levels" a bit too loosely.  Unity is not a game in itself, and as such doesn't have a concept of levels until you make a game that uses the environments you've created in that way.  Starting to add functionality to those scenarios you've put together in Unity means you're essentially making a game at that point.  If your primary goal is to create good looking environments, maybe what you really want to get into is 3d art, modelling, rigging, environments, etc.  If you enjoy taking existing existing assets and arranging them and hooking them up to get cool functionality, then maybe coding is the right way to go.  "Level design" is definitely a thing, but it encompasses not just placing art around, but also making use of the mechanics of the game/context the level exists in.  If that's the field you want to get into, maybe it would make more sense to do something like maps for Unreal Tournament or some other game that has available editing tools.  This way, you're still doing the same kind of thing, you don't need to code in the functionality, you'll have usable portfolio pieces, and a game context within which you can work on and demonstrate the non-art parts of level design.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement