🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is trying to get hired at a specific company bad ?

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 6 years, 11 months ago

I am a College Freshman so It seems early but I want to be prepared, I am interested in eventually working at Bungie, I will be taking classes for C++ in the fall and i am intrested it game development, I would be willing to work for other companies but my first priority would be to look to see if Bungie is hiring, is this a good idea or should I broaden my search once I graduate ?

Advertisement

Not bad at all, but companies like Bungie tend to hire people with industry experience. So, aim for getting a job first anywhere in the game industry. I am not saying your first job cannot be at Bungie, but if you have industry experience, the chances of you getting hired are high.

10 minutes ago, newtechnology said:

Not bad at all, but companies like Bungie tend to hire people with industry experience. So, aim for getting a job first anywhere in the game industry. I am not saying your first job cannot be at Bungie, but if you have industry experience, the chances of you getting hired are high.

Alright, seems like a good idea, if I get hired at say an Indie Studio, I might still browse for potential jobs at Bungie.

You shouldn't make your dream job your first interview. You should have several interviews before you interview at your dream job. And then you have to be prepared for the possibility of getting hired by one of those earlier jobs. Don't turn down perfectly good job offers just because you are waiting for the dream job offer that you might never get. 

Do you live within daily commuting distance of Bellevue WA? 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

8 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

You shouldn't make your dream job your first interview. You should have several interviews before you interview at your dream job. And then you have to be prepared for the possibility of getting hired by one of those earlier jobs. Don't turn down perfectly good job offers just because you are waiting for the dream job offer that you might never get. 

Do you live within daily commuting distance of Bellevue WA? 

No, I live near Boston, however I would be willing to eventually move there as that is Bungies HQ, I am a freshman in College so I am pursing a Degree in Computer Technology. I would be willing to work for other companies beforehand, however if I ever get a job offer from Bungie I would take it in a heartbeat, I have a passion for Destiny as that game has helped me through tough times in High School and would love to be involved in developing future projects for Bungie.

16 minutes ago, ExoWarlock said:

No, I live near Boston, however I would be willing to eventually move there

Read this: http://sloperama.com/advice/m84.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I recommend the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?", any recent edition.

The book covers this topic in depth.

In very short form, targeting a specific company is good because you can use alternative routes to get in.  Submitting a resume after hearing they are hiring is one of the least effective ways to get a job.  Getting friendly with people who work there and keeping in touch with the people who can get you the job is one of the most effective ways.

One of the biggest drawbacks of targeting a specific company is that you must have good timing.  When you have a broad net there are always a few companies who are hiring.  But one specific company may go many months without hiring for your role. For some roles they may go multiple years before hiring someone for that role. Unless your desire to have a job happens to overlap their timing for wanting to hire someone, that company won't work out for you.

There are other concerns, such as you don't compete in a vacuum, but they apply generally and not just when targeting a specific company.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement