🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ran out of funds for my video game

Started by
10 comments, last by Aurelien Folie - Odin 6 years, 11 months ago

Regarding crowdfunding campaigns, I agree with everyone who mentions that Kickstarter is indeed a lot of work, needs careful planning and a strong community.

There is a new platform, Brightlocker (https://www.brightlocker.com/?aid=231ddf) which has a different take on the crowdfunding aspect, since it is not limited to a 1 month campaign. It still requires quite a bit of work, but you can tweak everything a lot more during the campaign, and slowly build the community as the campaign goes. Additionnally, it brings in monthly revenues from people subscribing. 

Regarding the rewards for crowdfunding campaigns, usually, developping a game provides quite a lot of opportunities, with the artwork, the soundtrack, and adding exclusive content, or offering to work with you to design some content to people. Additionally, with BrightLocker for example, you can also offer people to have short one-on-one chat sessions with you and the rest of the team (if there is a team), to ask you anything. 

If I was in your shoes, and assuming I needed money quickly to pay rent and food, I would find a basica job to pay the bills, and in the meantime prepare and start a BrightLocker campaign to get more funds for the game. Additionally, as VildNinja said, depending on where you are, there are quite a few options to get government funding. If you are based in Canada, I can give you more info on that.

And Finally, you have aquired skills by developping a game, and taking on this specific adventure, that others will be interested to learn from you. This can also be an interesting revenue stream, in a mid to long term strategy.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss all those aspects in more details!

Aurelien Folie - Odin - Founder of Asgaard Studio

Creator of unique, bespoke experiences

Gentleman Extraordinaire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement