🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about me

Started by
14 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 3 months ago
Lately I've been applying to internships. I got one interview but I'm concerned on why I'm not getting more interviews. Here is my current resume.
dibashchhetriresume.png

Is it because I haven't got much working experience? I want to get an software development internship but im just not getting the opportunity nor the offer. My professor offered me the chance to do research with him this summer, but I want to get a summer software development internship instead but if I dont get nothing I will probably go with the research. Any advice?

Also, I feel like my resume is above average but it just pass the screening stage much. Btw, the research I am doing with my professor might get published, so I guess that would help my resume stand out more with a publication section.
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Advertisement
I'm no expert on resumes, but I think it looks pretty good.

What sort of stuff are you putting in your cover letter? Also, do you tailor that little bit at the top - the Objective - to each place you send it out?
Well not really, I don't tailor my objective because I usually only apply to software development internships. And I dont have a cover letter because all the internships I applied to thus far only required resume.
I'm not sure what im doing wrong. Maybe other applicants have a better resume than I.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
It is more than that.

* You need to apply at the right time. The application window for being a summer intern is very short.
* There will be few openings. A studio might have one or two jobs. Contrast with when a studio needs to hire a full team. There are still a lot of unemployed game developers, so why hire an intern when you can get a regular full-time employee?
* You need to be the best. There will be a tall stack of applications, they will eventually eliminate nearly every one.

You can directly control applying at the right time. You do that by asking the studios when they are hiring interns.

You can indirectly control your perceived quality by building a portfolio of completed games or game-like projects, participating in industry groups like SIGDA, and making contacts to get a direct referral rather than traditional application. Nothing on there screams the message, "I am passionate about making games."

The other very important fact is your graduation date. You're at least a full year out from graduation. Put in the month you plan to graduate in addition to the year. Again, remember that there are likely interns who are recent graduates or who finish up this summer. That puts you at a disadvantage.
Is interning after graduation normal? I would think I would look for a full time job after I graduate.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

1. Lately I've been applying to internships. I got one interview but I'm concerned on why I'm not getting more interviews.
Is it because I haven't got much working experience?
2. I want to get an software development internship but im just not getting the opportunity nor the offer.
3. My professor offered me the chance to do research with him this summer, but I want to get a summer software development internship instead but if I dont get nothing I will probably go with the research. Any advice?
4. Also, I feel like my resume is above average but it just pass the screening stage much.
5. Btw, the research I am doing with my professor might get published, so I guess that would help my resume stand out more with a publication section.

1. Take a look at FAQ 24. How many of the "stupid tricks" are you doing? How many of the FAQ 27 "smart tips" are you doing?
2. It takes a lot of time to get a job (an internship being the same thing as a job).
3. Yes: do the research.
4. See what I said in #1: look at FAQs 24 and 27. You can link to the FAQs above.
5. Yes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks I checked out the FAQ. And btw, for (3) are you saying do research instead of internship or do research if no internship is available?
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
You didn't see my answer #5?

I should have been more clearer. The current research if it gets published, my name will be in there for the things I helped out for. But the summer research could be either for this same research or something completely different. So either way, if it gets published, the professor said my name will be involved with it.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
How many of the FAQ 24 "stupid tricks" are you doing? How many of the FAQ 27 "smart tips" are you doing?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement