🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game design classes for those who already have a computer science degree?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 4 months ago
What education opportunities are out there for those who already know how to code (BS in EECS from Berkeley), but don't know a thing about game design? I write little graphics things with either downloaded models or 'programmer art.' I'm tired of programmer art. I could get a game job now, but I think I'd rather be a designer-that-can-code instead of just some random coder in the background :)

I used to be heavy into art before entering college (photography, photoshop, coreldraw, etc and just a little 3d), but haven't done much since then, with the exception of keeping up photography.

Would I be better off just taking 3d modelling Maya, etc classes at community college? I'm already a very proficient and professional C/C++ developer for non-games applications.
Advertisement
Looks like you're suffering from several items on this FAQ. Get a job in the industry if that is your passion.

"Game designer" is rarely an entry level job. There are some semi-design positions such as level design, but they are very rare. Becoming a game designer is almost always a lateral career move.

A game may need ten, twenty, or even fifty other people before needing another designer. Many existing people at every studio would make great designers, and that's where most come from. It is far easier to get a job as a programmer or artist or other track and then move into a design job when it becomes available.

Right now you are probably qualified to be an entry level programmer. After you have that job, make the lateral move over to designer if that's what you want.
If you managed to get an EECS from *the* Berkley, whay aren't you following that path? Just curious.

As for game design, there's not really any "path" into it from the outside -- unlike other gamedev positions, there really aren't any "entry level" game designers. Generally they are promoted from within the industry, if not the company, and come from writing, level design, animation, programming, even test -- basically, you just have to get close enough to someone who can put you into a design position, express interest, and prove yourself worthy. Its not that any of that is as easy as it sounds -- just think how few "game designer" jobs exist in, for instance, the US -- maybe something less than 1000 total, who's primary job is "designer", and probably around a couple hundred who are working on AAA retail titles. Its a tough nut to crack, and perhaps more about "who you know" than any other in our field.

If you're a competent programmer, take that route to get yourself in the door. Express interest in design tasks and you may be able to help out (or be useful during brainstorming sessions) and there are usually even small opportunities to "design" bits of gameplay just in the way you choose to implement a feature in code (in fact, about half the programming interviews I've been on involve some amount of game-design discussion in them). Do some side-projects where you are both designer and coder, and show it around the office. These are the best ways to get noticed.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thanks, I'll take a look. I would hope more than an 'entry level programmer' in that my current title is 'Software Engineer.' This May it would be 5 years since my Berkeley graduation. Game stuff has always been a bit of a hobby off-and-on, mostly because being an actual developer somewhere else eats all my time. The only way I can dive into games full time would be to start working it full time.

Would switching from a different software engineering position into a game developer position really be such a change that it would be starting over at entry level?
I didn't see that before. I wouldn't expect you to start at an entry-level position, no -- however, for anything *but* entry level, you basically have to have a specialty that you are already competent in, whether that be gameplay programming, graphics, physics, audio. I don't think I've ever seen an open position that wasn't entry-level that didn't call for a specific skillset. Even entry-level positions require you to be at least generally familiar with various game engine components.

Another thing you'll watch out for, coming from the non-games-industry, is that the wage is often significantly lower, the hours longer, and the demands of your competence in a field of expertise is generally higher. The games industry is generally selective because they can afford to be, and at the same time generally underpaid (compared to other programming fields for a person with the same amount of experience). Thems the breaks, unfortunately. Whether you can take the potential salary hit is a matter of what your priorities are (earnings vs. enjoying your work) and what your life situation is (family, debt, retirement outlook).

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

FAQ 3 describes the recommended education for a game designer.
FAQ 41 describes switching into games from a non-game career.
And read http://www.igda.org/games-game-august-2003

I recommend you check out the FAQs. There's a link atop this forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement