🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Professional Networking at PAX East

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 4 months ago
Hello all,

This is my first post. I'm a computer science student looking to acquire some game dev skills.

I am attending PAX East on Friday 3/11 with a friend and we had a bit of a debate. He intends to hand out business cards, but I don't feel comfortable doing that just yet because I really don't have anything to show. I'd rather make my name known when I can direct any developers to a website that actually has content. My plan is to hit up a few of the industry lectures and meet some of the smaller devs, e.g. Twisted Pixel, Red5 and maybe even Bethesda.

So my first question to anyone out there is this: is it best to just get your name out there or should you be primed and hireable (or at the very least, have started a portfolio)?
And here's my general question: What advice do you have for a rookie looking to make the best of his time (professionally ) at PAX East?

I have not started a portfolio yet because I've been entirely focused on excelling at my school work, which has nothing to do with gaming. I have earned straight A's in both quarters.
Advertisement
What result are you and your friend hoping to achieve? Unless you're looking for (and are qualified for) employment or summer internships, I don't see much point in handing out business cards. I would go, attend lectures, meet people and have some business cards on-hand in case you're asked for one, but I wouldn't go with the intent of carpet-bombing everyone with your cards, or even of handing them out unsolicited.

While I'm sure many devs will be happy to give you a few moments of their time (in the appropriate setting), to be blunt you probably don't have anything to offer them just yet as (from what I gather) a pair of first-year college students.

Keep working hard at your studies, as ultimately *that* is your best bet to crack into this industry or any other -- don't be lured astray by the "glamour" of the game-development dream. In a couple years, when you're considering internships, then go press some palms and hand out cards -- something simple with your name that points them to your portfolio, resume, CV, a brief "about me" page and your contact information.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Pretty much what I was thinking. I appreciate the feedback!
Way,
So you're going to PAX to be a "lurker"? If the answer is yes, then I agree, you don't need cards.
But if you meet someone and want to get his card, then it's only polite to give him yours. Even if you are a "nobody."
Read the networking FAQ (in FAQs link above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement