🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question regarding portfolio for interview.

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 6 months ago
I would like to ask for opinions regarding the portfolio works.

I am thinking that a game developing with a commercial game engine (such as Unreal, Unity3D...) compare to develop from scretch, will the game with commercial game engine recieve higher expectation than the one with our own engine?

Or can we think in this way...

If I want to apply for programmer, it will be better to go for own engine.
If I want to apply for shading, game design, game assessts related job, using a game engine to demo will be more suitable, since the development is easier, thus can focus more on graphics or gameplay?

Thank you.

Regards,
jiuhu
Advertisement
In my opinion:

Choose the second question.

Reason:

This question can be valued at where the company can put you on their staff. Shows them what kind of capabilities you can show them in the long run if they need to put you in another group when hired for other groups during post production, etc.

If you went with question 1:

I wouldn't be able to help you there since I am not a programmer.

Good luck though.

The answer for question two may not be the right or best answer your looking for but it may help you in other areas if you are hired in.

Moved to Breaking In.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
"It depends."

Rather than trying to do whatever you think some hypothetical employer will want, instead you should do what YOU want.

That way you're more likely to get a job that will be suitable for you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement