🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Young Designer?

Started by
5 comments, last by OneThreeThreeSeven 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi, i've heard rumors that ilegal immigrants dont get to far in America,
Im brazilian, i moved to america when i was just 1, lived my whole life there, graduated elementary and middle school there, then at freshmen year (this year) i moved back to brazil and i plan on staying here untill im 18 then im most likely moving back,
Now ever sence i was 6 i've wanted to be a rpg game designer, i've played every mmorpg you can think of, mostly any rpg you can think of i've played, closest thing iv done to game designing is own private servers in smaller games like Tibia,
I was talking to some friends and nor them or my parents think im gonna ever be an actual game designer, due to the fact that im not completely legal in america, even though i've lived there sence i was 1,
But yeah, didnt know exacly what section of the forums i should put this under but i really need someones advice, is there hope ? a chance that i can actually be a game designer, or is it just another job ill never be able to get sence i wasnt born in america ? i need someones advice, dont know if i should give up or not,

ps: im 14,
Advertisement
Well first of all, the US is definitely not the only country where games are created. I'm sure there must be some game companies in Brazil too.

Now, regarding the citizenship thing, there are legal ways to immigrate to a country. There are generally some basic requirements you have to meet, so you should look into that, and see what you need to do to get approved.

You could also open up your own indie game company. All you need is a computer and an internet connection to be a game developer...
You are right around my age when I was first introduced to computer programming. My father was a programmer at the time and wrote a 15 line code that made a circle go across the screen.

I studied everything about the program, fascinated over the fact that 15 lines of code could tell a computer what to do. A month later I wrote my own game using the same commands my father wrote in his small program. Two weeks later I wrote an arcade game, then another, and another..thats when I knew I wanted to computer program.

Most of us started this as a hobby, which at your age should be easy to do! Once you get your feet wet into game programming and the work behind it all, you can decide if you want to continue it or not.

My only advice: start now. There is much to learn!

n_n
isometrixk
The proper forum for aspiring game industry workers is the Breaking In forum.
But there is no forum for Becoming a Legal Worker except maybe the Business/Law forum.

Moved to Breaking In. Brazilian fan, you should read the FAQs here. Scroll up and click the tiny "View Forum FAQ" link (it's REALLY REALLY SMALL).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by mmofan
1. (this year) i moved back to brazil and i plan on staying here untill im 18 then im most likely moving back,
2. nor them or my parents think im gonna ever be an actual game designer, due to the fact that im not completely legal in america
3. is there hope ?
4. is it just another job ill never be able to get sence i wasnt born in america ?
5. i need someones advice, dont know if i should give up or not,
6. ps: im 14,

1. I assume you plan to move back legally? If so, there's no problem except your mastery of English.
2. That's a barrier you can overcome.
3. Always.
4. Nobody cares where you were born. Get legal, and you can get a job.
5. Never.
6. That means you have enough time to get better at your English, at your typing, at your communication skills (vital to a game designer -- "View Forum FAQ" above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It seems to me that what we have here is yet another example of why it would be a "good thing (tm)" to have a modern-engine RPG that includes what in MUD days was called a "wizard".

By "wizard" I mean a player who is able to design and implement the game from inside the game.

The primary objection I expect to see to a suggestion of "simply join any MUD that still lets players advance to Wizard and design your game as a region within that MUD" is something along the lines of "MUDs are too retro, I want to design in a much flashier more pretty Second Life like environment something much prettier and flashier than Second Life".

But then again I have noticed that typically people who want to be "game designers" seem loath to be "game implementors".

Therefore, why worry about the below top of the line graphics in Second Life like environments since you want to "design" not "implement".

Once you have the entire "design" fully operational in the less than top of the line graphics environment you can bring in the touch-up artists to touch up the "polish" to make it look as good as whatever graphics cards are current by then can render...

You're 14 so maybe things will change by the tile you're an adult. Obamas dream act just got shot down but maybe things will have changed by the time you're older. ;)

In case you didn't know. Dream Act = citizenship for illegals brought in as children, provided they do college or military service.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement