🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can this cover letter open doors??

Started by
30 comments, last by Orymus 13 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for all you replies. I 'll definitely make the changes in the cover letter. And also thanks for reviewing my CV.
You won't believe I found her name. But she is an Office Manager/HR Assistant.
I found her on facebook. I sent her a message but no reply. Actually there are other jobs for the same company listed at gamasutra. And the contact person written at the bottom of the page for all of them is her name. So should I address the cover letter to her or wait for her reply. And if no reply then write To: Hiring Manager.
I think it is better to write Hiring Manager rather than addressing to a wrong person.
I also found the person who established the company on facebook.
Advertisement
Umm ... just my two cents, but I wouldn't communicate with people through Facebook if they didn't invite you to first.

It's sort of like this:

If you just happen to find the hiring manager's home phone number in a phone book, that doesn't mean you should ever consider calling him/her. That's creepy, so I think the same thing goes for "finding" their profile on Facebook, just let that slide.

Also your original cover letter had some grammatical mistakes.

Run-on sentence: First paragraph, second sentence.
Second paragraph, first sentence, "environment" should be "environments"
Run-on sentence: Second paragraph, second sentence.
Second paragraph, second sentence: "and as having great expertise" bad grammar.
Second paragraph, third sentence: grammar, especially "great dexterity" part.
Second paragraph, fourth sentence: "Bachelor's" wrong possessive punctuation.

I tend to agree with the other poster's advice, most HR people are simply buzz-word hunting and your cover letter is simply an excuse to skip your CV, since it doesn't contain any good buzzwords in it and you can't impress the HR staff with cordialty.

Yeah... I'm sure you're all enthusiastic, but do not, I repeat DO NOT track down, stalk, or communicate with company representatives, HR or employees through anything other than the prescribed channels.

That's entirely out of line, creepy, and more likely to get you a restraining order than a job interview. Honestly, the fact that you would even consider that doing such would be socially acceptable would give me a huge pause in even interviewing you, much less extending you an offer.

Also, what's with all the worry about when you should re-send your application/resume/etc. Send it one time through the explicitly prescribed channel, and address it generally if you're not absolutely certain of whom will be receiving it. Don't assume that, because you've not heard anything back, that your application was lost or passed over in error. Most places will make a good-faith effort to let you know your application was received, but this is not always the case -- people get busy. If you don't hear back from them, assume that they don't want to pursue you as a candidate at this time and move-the-fuck on. You've got much less chance of fixing the situation than you do of looking like a desperate idiot, so just stop -- do it right the first time and let the chips fall as they will.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but the more you write here the more and more I become convinced that you need a fucking reality check.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I f**ked up. Some people say try to contact the company as many times you can and get their contact info & name whom u want to address the letter. They may feel that its good that the person is taking so much pains.
Ok then, I'll keep this thing in my mind that I won't contact any person on their personal phones or sites. Thanks.
As asked earlier, is this company in the same country as you? If not, where is it? There may be some cultural differences in job applications.

My application process when I don't know anyone that works there is:

- Find a phone number for the company and ask for HR. Ask if the role still exists, if so, ask for a contact name and email address.
- If I can't find a phone number, then apply via any method they describe on their site.
- Wait.
- If there is no contact after a week or so, call/email and chase up.
- Repeat the last step till response is obtained.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

The company is in United States. I made 5-6 calls at the studio but no one was picking up the phone. I also left a message on their answering machine but still no reply. The company websites wants the seekers to upload their CV and cover letter on the company's website. Thats it. No other info no email ids nothing.
You have to fill the app form and just browse your CV and cover letter.
Quote: Original post by ayush3017
The company is in United States. I made 5-6 calls at the studio but no one was picking up the phone.

Have you taken into account the time zone difference?

Quote: I also left a message on their answering machine but still no reply.

That is likely due to you being overseas with no previous industry experience. Unfair but it is the way it is. Not much you can do about that besides to keep applying to different companies.

Quote: The company websites wants the seekers to upload their CV and cover letter on the company's website. Thats it. No other info no email ids nothing.
You have to fill the app form and just browse your CV and cover letter.

That is pretty standard. Sounds like you are applying for EA or similar large company.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

If they have instructions on their website, do what the instructions say.

The general advice you hear is for the times when you do not already have instructions.
Quote: Original post by ayush3017
The company is in United States. I made 5-6 calls at the studio but no one was picking up the phone. I also left a message on their answering machine but still no reply.

They will never reply, Ayush. This is crazy! You can't get a job overseas this way. You really have to read the FAQs.
Scroll up to the top of this page.
Find the small blue text that says "View Forum FAQ."
Click it.
On the FAQ page, look for the section about applying for jobs.
Find FAQ 24 - "Stupid Wannabe Tricks."
Click it.
Read it.

"Location, location, location."

Also read the July 2010 column at https://www.igda.org/games-game-july-2010

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

After reading the FAQ I think I should apply for the game companies in India first. Here we have Ubisoft(PC & console), EA(mobile), TrineGames(PC and outsourcing), Dhruv Interactive(only outsourcing).
Available posts:
1. Ubisoft their is only 1 opening Level Designer: It doesn't require any programming.
2. Graphics programming in Trine Games: Have developed and published a game "Streets of Mumbai"
3. EA: only mobile development: C++ with J2ME(I don't know it).
4. Dhruva Interactive: Only outsourcing provides in-game assets like vehicles, level models to other foreign companies.
Although my brother lives in US(he has his own company) but he lives in Washington and I don't think there are any game companies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement