🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can this cover letter open doors??

Started by
30 comments, last by Orymus 13 years, 10 months ago
Wait, what? Why would you do that? Did you actually happen to meet and hang out with the lead programmer of some studio at SIGGRAPH?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
Wait, what? Why would you do that? Did you actually happen to meet and hang out with the lead programmer of some studio at SIGGRAPH?

Aaha I am not so lucky. You were telling me that I was being a moron??
No.
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
No.

Oh com'mon lets forget it and come to the point where I was. So should I upload this cover letter to the companies' website or should I make some more changes??

I don't know why but the studio I am calling is not picking up the phone??? So what should I do should I write, To the recruiting manager and land my app in trash?? or it doesn't matter..
Quote: Original post by ayush3017
I don't know why but the studio I am calling is not picking up the phone??? So what should I do should I write, To the recruiting manager and land my app in trash?? or it doesn't matter..

Dude, you need patience.
Have you read this forum's FAQs yet? Scroll up and look for the small blue "View Forum FAQ," and click it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you don't know who is going to be reading it then just write something like 'Human Resources Director' or 'Hiring Coordinator'.

There is no one perfect way to write a cover letter, because different people are going to be looking for different items in your cover letter. What is important is that you do custom tailor your cover letter for the company and job position. A useful resource for cover letter writing can be found at Purdue OWL.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
You should consider stalking the CEO of that studio. Making him find a copy of your resume on his pillow when he wakes up can really make the difference.

You could also write your cover letter with a soaped finger on his bathroom's mirror, so when he comes out the shower he'll be able to read it quitely...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Addressing cover letters is always a little awkward unless you know the proper name and title for the person who will receive it -- but HR people are well aware of this, don't worry about them taking it personally.

I've used "Dear Hiring Manager" although the 'Dear' is a little awkward, so I'll probably be switching it to a business-memo-style salutation as I begin my job search this month if I don't know the specific person to address it to:

To: Hiring Manager
Subject: Application for <job listing/job number>

This style is perfectly acceptable for an HR person, but shouldn't be used if you've had contact with the person you're expecting to receive the letter.

Also, considering yourself 'appropriate' for the position is a fairly weak and slightly ambiguous statement -- I would at least say 'an appropriate fit for [the requirements of]'. I usually go with something a little stronger though: "I believe my skillset is a strong match for this position's requirements, as I trust the included resume will attest."

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

People have already commented on your cover letter and I don't really have anything to add.

I did take a peek at your website and CV. The website is easy to navigate and nicely laid out.

A couple of points on your CV:
1. In your work experience do you have the actual names of the companies you worked at?
2. I would use bullet points in some sections. For example the online shopping mall experience is quite hard to read.
3. Re-order your education so that the most recent comes first. Also no offense but I would leave your marks off the CV as mid 60% is not that good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement