🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can this cover letter open doors??

Started by
30 comments, last by Orymus 13 years, 10 months ago
Hello everyone. I just want to ask you guys is my cover letter good enough?? I want to apply as a junior game programmer.
Here are the requirements:
Requirements:

•  Great C++ skills
•  Passion for playing and making games
•  Self-motivation
•  1+ years of related experience

Desired:

•  4 year degree in Computer Science or Engineering with a high GPA
•  Credit on a shipped game
---------------------------------------------------------------------

However I haven't shipped any game.
And here is my cover letter:

Dear Mr.....,

I am writing in application for the position of Junior Game Programmer at ABC Games. Having developed a third person game in C++ with major emphasis on optimization, AI, graphics I consider myself appropriate for the same.

ABC Games is best known for developing world class games featuring large open environment, AI, physics and networking. I would like to provide my skills and as having great expertise in C++/DirectX and vector maths, developed a game consisting large open world, AI featuring waypoint navigation with collision avoidance. For optimization, LOD management with alpha transition is a must and I have a great dexterity in applying it. Having just completed my Bachelor’s in Computer Science, I am an avid developer with great passion for playing and making games.

I look forward to being interviewed at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

Sincerely

Also should my CV consists of things like hobbys. The CV can be downloaded from here: CV.pdf
And here is my portfolio website: Website

Actually I have developed plenty of softwares but as they were not commercial so should I inclue them also??
Please help me, otherwise I am gonna loose this oppurtunity..
Thanks
Advertisement
maybe
"It's like naming him Asskicker Monstertrucktits O'Ninja" -Khaiy

Quote: Original post by mrchrismnh
maybe

SO are there no mistakes in the cover letter???
"I consider myself appropriate for the same."
I don't understand what you mean by 'same'? Is this job in the same country as the one you are currently in?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

I have a little trouble understanding the letter, but you've got a 4 year CS degree and your demo is good.
"It's like naming him Asskicker Monstertrucktits O'Ninja" -Khaiy

@ yaustar:
Thanks for the reply and finding out the mistake.
I think I should write: I consider myself appropriate for this position.

or is there a better way??

@mrchrismnh :
Thanks, but I would be very grateful if you please state why you had trouble understanding the letter?
I would make some adjustments.
-In my experience the recruitment manager is often not a "Mr", and sometimes their name is not known when you apply.
-As above, "the same" is ambiguous.
-Some of your wording is a little, unnatural, but I'm guessing that's because English is a second language? (it's fairly well written once you take that into account ;))
-"developed a game..." doesn't fit into a listing of your expertise (changed to "experience developing..."
-The bit about "applying LOD with great dexterity" doesn't sound right.
-Don't thank them for the opportunity before they've gotten back to you, it sound presumptuous.
-Also, "earliest convenience" sounds "needy".
Quote: Dear Mr.....,
To whom it may concern,
or
To the recruitment manager,

I am writing in application to apply for the position of Junior Game Programmer at ABC Games. Having developed a third person game in C++ with major emphasis on optimization, AI and graphics, I consider myself appropriate for the same this position.

ABC Games is best known for developing world class games featuring large open environment, AI, physics and networking. I would like to provide my skills and as having great expertise in C++/DirectX, vector maths, developed a game consisting large open world, level-of-detail algorithms, AI (including waypoint navigation with collision avoidance) and experience developing open-world games. For optimization, LOD management with alpha transition is a must and I have a great dexterity in applying it. Having just completed my Bachelor's in Computer Science, I am an avid developer with great passion for playing and making games.

I look forward to being interviewed at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

Yours sincerely,
name
If you're sending a cover letter and a resume to an HR department in an established company, the cover letter has the potential only to close open doors, not to open closed one. That is to say, you need to not look like a complete moron, and beyond that they don't much care what you say.

Cover letters are much more important when communicating with someone who doesn't evaluate large stacks of resumes for a living. If, say, you happen to meet and hang out with the lead programmer of some studio at SIGGRAPH, you might send your application to her instead of to the HR department. In this case, you want your cover letter to make her excited about the possibility of working with you, and so you'd probably spend a little longer on it (and, hopefully, write with less of a stilted, formal voice).
First of all thanks for you reply

Quote: Original post by Hodgman
-In my experience the recruitment manager is often not a "Mr", and sometimes their name is not known when you apply.

Actually I'll call the studio and ask them the employes'/ recruiter name and will write it. And if they don't give their names then I'll write To the recruiting manager.

Is this ok:
I am writing in application to apply for the position of Junior Game Programmer at ABC Games. Having developed a third person game in C++ with major emphasis on optimization, AI and graphics, I consider myself appropriate for this position.

ABC Games is best known for developing world class games featuring large open environment, AI, physics and networking. In course of developing a game featuring large open-world, AI(including waypoint navigation with collision avoidance, level-of-detail management I have developed strong skills in C++/DirectX, vector maths and I would like to provide them. Having just completed my Bachelor's in Computer Science, I am an avid developer with great passion for playing and making games.

I look forward to being interviewed at your convenience.

Yours sincerely,
name

Also I would be uploading this letter on the company's website. So is it ok to write: I am writing in application ?? Or directly I want to apply for the post of.

Quote: Original post by Sneftel
If you're sending a cover letter and a resume to an HR department in an established company, the cover letter has the potential only to close open doors, not to open closed one. That is to say, you need to not look like a complete moron, and beyond that they don't much care what you say.

Cover letters are much more important when communicating with someone who doesn't evaluate large stacks of resumes for a living. If, say, you happen to meet and hang out with the lead programmer of some studio at SIGGRAPH, you might send your application to her instead of to the HR department. In this case, you want your cover letter to make her excited about the possibility of working with you, and so you'd probably spend a little longer on it (and, hopefully, write with less of a stilted, formal voice).

So what should I do?? Write another one from scratch or what?? :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement