🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MSc in Computer Science or Games Programming

Started by
16 comments, last by Kylotan 13 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by stupid_programmer
Quote: Original post by seekingKnowledge
Hi,

I do understand where you are coming from as I had a similar issue 2 years ago applying for an internship at a game company (won't go into detail on that). It's obvious one would learn more at the job in a year than in school, now doesn't that depend on what is being taught at such schools. For instance, if one choses to be a mechanic, one can actually apply for the job & get trained on site, or one can equally enroll at a mechanic school, where one would be given the same sort of training (but much at a slower pace in order to build ones confidence). Now am not giving reasons to buttress my point but I know (not heard of) couple of people that have equally benefited from a Master's programme which helped them build a portfolio much better than if they had to do it solo.

My main reason for saying this is because trying to learn on the Job is one thing, getting a company to actually put you on the Job to learn is a whole different ball game (which is why I lost the internship) because companies are not willing to take such risks bringing in a newbie just to be trained. Now understand that this was during my Undergraduate years, which meant I had little or no time to actually build up a strong portfolio to convince such a company to take me on.

So, stupid_programmer tell me exactly what you would do if you were in my shoes. By the way I truly cherish your response. Thanks

You can be techically competent but still have no idea what really goes in to software development. What you learn in the class room is often different then how things get done in the real world. School may teach you things but it doesn't really prepare you for the real world. Which is why I said I learned more in my first year. Not specifically techical knowledge (although I did learn DirectX/C#/third party game engine, but it was really just learning sytnax and using skills from school) but lots of life experience on working with a team and getting things done on a deadline. Yeah this is stuff you do in school but its not quite the same. Getting points deducted for a late submission is different then getting deducted from your job if things go badly.

Also remember there are more to games then AAA games. Many smaller companies might be willing to take chances on people who may not have large portfolios but know what they are doing. I've never touched any AAA game code in my career but I can say I'm quite happy with my job as it pays really well and it gives me some creative freedom when doing my job (I'm not much above a junior programmer either).

If I were you I might take a crappy job for awhile to pay the bills while working my games in my free time to build up a portfolio and submitting a resume everywhere. Consisdering the job market and if I had the money I might do grad school as well. But probably a regular CS masters which sometimes can work very well for you if you wanted a job outside of games. Another option might be delayed entry to grad school to like fall of next year to see if you can get a job and if not then you have everything setup to go back to school instead.

Couldn't have said it better, I should look more into this issues with great care. I think it's best I get started with the portfolio while seeking a Job as you mentioned. Thanks for your time.....
Advertisement
Rather than an opinion, I shall give you some facts. I have a BSc in Computing (Visualisation) and an MSc in Computer Games Systems. With that combination, plus 2 years of mostly web development experience, I had lots of agencies trying to call me about regular computing jobs as soon as I got out of university, and I am now in the games industry, having been offered 2 jobs from 2 interviews.
Quote: Original post by Kylotan
Rather than an opinion, I shall give you some facts. I have a BSc in Computing (Visualisation) and an MSc in Computer Games Systems. With that combination, plus 2 years of mostly web development experience, I had lots of agencies trying to call me about regular computing jobs as soon as I got out of university, and I am now in the games industry, having been offered 2 jobs from 2 interviews.

Wow, that is really nice. In a nutshell, are you saying with my current degree & me aspiring to go into the MSc Games Programming, I can have the same chances as you do now with no hindrance if I choose to switch fields in the future?
are you saying with my current degree & me aspiring to go into the MSc Games Programming, I can have the same chances as you do now with no hindrance if I choose to switch fields in the future?

Except for the "with no hindrance" part. EVERYTHING in this world has hindrances. It's up to you to overcome them.
Read the FAQ on switching careers (click "View Forum FAQ," above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Kylotan

Wow, that is really nice. In a nutshell, are you saying with my current degree & me aspiring to go into the MSc Games Programming, I can have the same chances as you do now with no hindrance if I choose to switch fields in the future?

I have a MSc. Games Programming and had no issue finding a job in the industry, I currently work for a tripple A Games Company. Without my master I don't think I would have gotten this job to be honest. I had no experience before joining this company, and they did value me getting a MSc. as it also shows the company you have perseverance to finish something you start, which is a highly valued quality.

As for the fact of going into another field, it depends on which field you want to go into.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Quote:

I have a MSc. Games Programming and had no issue finding a job in the industry, I currently work for a tripple A Games Company. Without my master I don't think I would have gotten this job to be honest. I had no experience before joining this company, and they did value me getting a MSc. as it also shows the company you have perseverance to finish something you start, which is a highly valued quality.

As for the fact of going into another field, it depends on which field you want to go into.

Thanks for the response, I have also read up on other people's views on this same issue & found interesting reviews on a site called "skillset", not too sure the URL, its mostly about people's background & journey into the industry. Thanks, that was encouraging
Just to add my 2 pennies, I'm doing the Msc Games Programming at University of Hull which is accredited by Skillset (always a plus!). One thing I am glad about is the console experience. The Uni has PSP & GameCube devkits and let me tell you, they are a pain in the ass to develop for compared to PC but it's so much more satisfying to solve problems on them. Getting to grips with the tools Sony/Nintendo give you should give you an advantage and I'm glad that I can put console development experience on my CV when I finish the course. The deadlines are tight too so I can guess you inadvertently learn to deal with crunch times! ;)

Anyway, I heard that for next year they're going to get rid of the GameCube and get PS3 devkits in so a combo of PSP + PS3 console development experience would be good but don't take my word for it though!
Quote: Original post by HackSlash
Anyway, I heard that for next year they're going to get rid of the GameCube and get PS3 devkits in so a combo of PSP + PS3 console development experience would be good but don't take my word for it though!

Seems a shame - GameCube development is not far from Wii development so that's still useful to have, whereas giving you 2 Sony platforms halves the broadness of the experience. (While still giving you hell, thanks to Sony's awkward ways.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement