🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My Break-In Plan

Started by
21 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 3 months ago
Quote: That's not intended to be a personal slight, just an observation

Pretty much everything you said was a personal slight, whether you intended it or not. Which is especially disconcerting because you just repeated everything I already said about myself, and then mixed it with wild speculation and assumptions based on pretty much nothing.

I've never met a bunch of folk who took things so literally. Even after I explain myself, about four times, in four different ways, you're STILL pulling out semantic nit-picks, focussing on the specific words I'm using and steadfastly ignoring the actual INTENTION behind what I'm saying. I mean, why? You're all waxing Dr. Phil, trying to give me a "reality check" that I have repeatedly stated is completely unnecessary. Telling me things I already know is a waste of both of our time. The only reason I mentioned myself or my "dream" at all was just to give a little flavour and grounding to my actual questions. Which may have been silly, but really all I needed was to be told specifically why (which has been mostly answered, from the bits and pieces in this thread that were actually on-topic, so thanks for that)

I was trying especially hard to be humble, freely admitting all my shortcomings, because I knew people would get their egos in a twist if I was to suggest that breaking into the industry was in any way easy (which I wasn't). But people still started making personal slights against me, from the beginning. And I tried to say "don't worry about me, let's just use our imaginations for a second", but the whole thread just degenerated into me trying to defend myself against a clusterfuck of people who are so stubbornly cynical they can't get past the idea of someone having a dream that falls outside their 'actuarial estimates of success', and other people who don't seem to understand hyperbole, even after I explicitly state what I mean.

Sorry to rant, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's people who take every possible opportunity to remind everyone around them how intelligent and knowledgeable they are, especially when it's to such a degree that they just make up reasons to show off their incredible psychoanalytical insights and ability to logically refute or morally condemn out-of-context statements. I mean, I don't mind a bit of it here and there - everybody does it - or if it's y'know, actually appropriate to the topic at hand. But when people kindly tell you to stop, several times, and you continue to do it? Fucking annoying.

NO OFFENCE INTENDED!!! Just making some observations. But you might consider working on those areas. As much as I LOVE unwanted, unsolicited, completely baseless and irrelevant advice on how to live my life, stated in the snottiest, most self-important tone possible ("attitude issues", haha, that honestly made me laugh out loud so hard), other people may not appreciate it as much. It could cause a lot of friction in future. Just some friendly advice.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by James Joseph Emerald
Quote: I would hire an agent to sell them to the highest-bidding game publisher.

Quote: Cherry pick a publisher and/or developer that gives me the most money/highest royalties and has a track record of completing the project on time.

Those are both interesting responses. I assumed on a site called 'gamedev.net', that most folk would be aspiring or current game developers. Why wouldn't you want to take a stab at making the game yourself? Unless you're saying you'd sell off the IP with the stipulation that'd you'd be involved in the design process. In which case, how much control would you want? Would you rather play it safe, and ensure you get paid as much as possible, or take risks and be as creative as possible? Is that viable, or more than likely to result in 'development hell'?

There is the crux. The people replying back on this thread are more business minded rather then creative and therefore having someone pay me/us to develop a game with my/our IP + royalties is fair more advantageous and attractive then taking that risk and cost onto myself/ourself.

As far as control, if I/we don't like it, it doesn't go in.

Additionally, in most cases, the game is set to release with the film so trying to manage a film AND a game at the same time is insane.

If it was a game that was using the IP but not a movie tie in, then it becomes a slightly different story.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

The usefulness of this thread has ended, so it's now closed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement