🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Source Code in Portfolio

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I'm putting a portfolio together and I'm wondering if I should post my source code on it, and how. What do you think?
Rosália G. Schneiderhttp://rosaliaschneider.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Rosalia
I'm putting a portfolio together and I'm wondering (1) if I should post my source code on it, and (2) how.

1. If you want to get a game programming job, then yes.
2. Files on a disk or USB or available as a download from your website or attached to your email.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

For the job I'm in now, I both real-mailed and e-mailed my portfolio/resume.

The emailed version was a resume with a URL pointing to my portfolio (including source code / executables).
The hard-copy was a printed portfolio and source/executables on CD-R.

Make sure your files are not hosted on some free "wait 30s and look at this ad" file host. Put them somewhere where they start downloading immediately without messing about ;)
In my case, I had my programs available on my portfolio with an offer to show source code to anyone requesting it. I then sent links to my source code along to any company I applied to.

I can't speak on how effective it is in the average case, but I can say that it worked for me.

If you're really worried about your source code getting out, think of it this way: After you get into the industry and have access to the knowledge of your peers and more relevant experience, your previous code is probably going to seem pretty silly. You shouldn't worry too much about someone taking code you wrote before you reached your full potential.
This man made my day: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=523021
No, that's not the problem.

The problem is I don't know exactly how to show my code in a way people can really see my potential through the mountain of gets and sets and other trivial code.

For now, I'm making my Visual Studio projects available together with the whole code, but it does look like something no one will ever download.

Another thing, I can't guarantee that all my code will compile even when I make it plataform-specific, and I don't like the image of my employers getting a code from me that does not compile in their environment. I guess I'll just try to give enough "library version" information together with the code.

Thank you for all the replies!
Rosália G. Schneiderhttp://rosaliaschneider.wordpress.com/
Quote: Original post by Rosalia
The problem is I don't know exactly how to show my code in a way people can really see my potential through the mountain of gets and sets and other trivial code.

Let them worry about that.
Quote: Another thing, I can't guarantee that all my code will compile ... I guess I'll just try to give enough "library version" information together with the code.

Well, two things:
1. They don't need to compile your code. They just want to see how you write it.
2. But you do need to know how to provide good build notes -- a very important skill to have.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement