🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

intern?

Started by
3 comments, last by way2lazy2care 14 years, 3 months ago
So I've been looking through job requirements for game devs and such, and I was wondering how would a person go about getting a job in the industry. It says you need a degree in computer science and what not, but then it also says you need at least 5 years of experience or so. Would I have to intern or something? because I don't see any entry level game dev positions. Just curious
Advertisement
Moving to Breaking In, where this belongs.

They don't spend the money to advertise for entry-level jobs because they don't have to. They get enough resumes floating in without the expense of advertising.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Or no-one is looking for entry-level people at this time.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

You don't see them advertised because they usually don't need to.

You see ads for experienced people because they are hard to find. They actually have to look for people with X years of experience, and need to draw them away from their current employer.

Big companies get a ton of unsolicited junior-level applications. When a game company wants to hire interns, a little bit of word-of-mouth discussion on a college campus will bring in a small army of applicants.

If you want one of those jobs, just ask about them and apply, and hope that (1) the company is hiring them right now, and (2) you are among the group that gets called in.

With a rough economy there are many unemployed workers, so experienced workers are cheap. Companies have tight budgets. Given the supply and demand, companies are preferring the short-term ROI of experienced people to the longer term ROI of training up junior level people.
You're probably only looking at huge developers who don't even really need to hire entry level talent (I'm using this as people who are truly entry level skillset wise not just industry experience wise) because they're getting applications from students who have been nominated for or won IGF awards and other major game competitions before.

Look at not-huge companies and I think you'll be surprised how many people actually are looking for entry level talent. An example of a huge company is Naughty Dog, who has just exploded the Game Developer's Choice Awards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement