🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online Degrees

Started by
4 comments, last by L. Spiro 14 years, 3 months ago
One of my coworkers is trying to get a certificate of some IT type in order to get a raise at work. I have gotten pretty far without many degrees/certificates, but I was thinking getting a master’s degree or even just some certificates of expertise, just to have them under my belt, would not hurt. I am chief of technology and senior programmer at my current job and have little time for class rooms, at least in addition to the classes I take for Japanese. Also, since I live in Japan, it is unlikely I will be able to find any courses offered in English (I am not proficient enough in Japanese to take a high-level technical course), so I am looking online. I know that some online courses are scams, some are just crappy, some are almost meaningless/non-accredited, etc. I do not have enough insight into these programs that I can trust myself to distinguish between the good and bad, so I was hoping for some suggestions/recommendations. Anyone know a decent-to-good online degree program aimed at programming/IT? Additionally, I am open to suggestions on the best kinds of certifications to get. Thank you, Yogurt Emperor

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement
Generally, online programs offered by universities which have a well respected brick&mortar presence are pretty safe bets.
Quote: Original post by YogurtEmperor
I am open to suggestions on the best kinds of certifications to get.

"Best" is subjective. Just get the one you like or think best. Then build a great portfolio.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

My only advice if you do choose to take online classes to obtain a degree, make sure that the school is accredited, you don't want a school that hasn't been accredited because this school basically hasn't been certified to meet the accepted levels of education, this might go inline with what Telastyn had stated, but finding out whether school is accredited is easy to find out.
OP:
Don't do it just for the piece of paper.
Do it to learn the stuff they have to offer.
Be aware that they may point you in the direction, but the footwork to get there is going to have to be all you.
Ne?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you for the replies.

I guess I am just going by intuition as long as I can determine credibility and brick-and-mortar status.

Tom Sloper: I am hoping I will be able to actually learn from the courses as well. That would be a nice bonus. I would be a disappointed emperor of yogurt if the courses were just a recap of things I have already learned on my own.

My words are a bit harsh; I do not really plan on just taking them for the sake of having taken them, but I do wonder how much they will do for me these days, when I have already done nearly all I can do, and the things I have not yet done are well in sight. For now, the only reason I could see for having them is simply to brag that I have them.

Well things do not always go as planned, so I figure I will just do it and if the worst-case scenario comes along I will have them and be ready for a fast restart.

Regards,
Yogurt Emperor

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement